A cypress-lined road leads to Borgo dé Brandi, located on a hilltop, overlooking sweeping vineyards and gorgeous Monteriggioni Castle.
Il Borgo has been meticulously restored, retaining the architectural details of the storied Estate. Staying at this lovely holiday house is a great opportunity to enjoy Tuscany the way it is meant to be experienced: the typical Tuscan small square with its peculiar well, the small chapel and the cellar where breakfast is served.
Every morning the scent of homemade cakes, Tuscan “Schiacciata”, Pienza Pecorino cheese an delicious omelettes, embraces the Borgo and its guests, happy to spend a new lovely vacation day at BdB!
BdB offers the opportunity to enjoy the infinity pool or relax on gorgeous hammocks in front of Monteriggioni castle, as well as the possibility to have access to miles of hiking and mountain biking.
Borgo dé Brandi (formerly known as “La Caminata”) is located in a strategic position between the territories of the medieval republics of Florence and Siena – that were fierce enemies for centuries.
The first historical references about Borgo dé Brandi date back to the year 881 when The Emperor Carlo Il Grosso had to resolve the conflicts between the bishops of Arezzo and Siena. This hermitage, later oratory and convent was located on the ancient road that, branching off from the Florentine road, went to Volterra through Colle Val d’Elsa. The hermitage was dedicated to San Bartolomeo, from the monastic order of Fathers Servants of Mary. It was one of the first monasteries in this order, founded in Florence in 1233. The Commune of Siena helped the monks with benefits and alms, and the hermitage definitely became a convent around 1322.
Because of the scarce income and the damage caused by the enemy’s raids, particularly by Emperor Carl the V’s soldiers who ravaged in the Sienese territory in the second half of 1500, the prior and its monks left the convent. The Fathers Servants of Siena’s convent began to send one of their priests to celebrate Mass twice per month. On the 28th September, 1549 the Reverend Father Agostino Bonucci, abolished and incorporated the monastery to that in Siena of the same religious order. The land of the convent were rented to a certain Francesco da Siena. Later in 1561 the convent and its land were rented to a Friar, Giuseppe da Lucca.
Restoration works began in 1853. Eventually, the convent was definitively turned into a farm, and now into a charming holiday house.
LA VIA FRANCIGENA (Francigena road)
Via Francigena (or Via Romea) is an ancient pilgrim road – better say, a lay-out of roads – that from the North of France went to Rome, the Holy See, stretching out to Pisa and to Brindisi, both boarding harbours to Jerusalem and the Holy Land. This historical route was first tried by Archbishop Sigeric in the year 990, on his way back from Rome to Canterbury (England) after his appointment by the Pope. Throughout the centuries, it was walked by pilgrims, tradesmen, monks, kings and emperors, becoming the most important European road, since it joined the North Sea to the Mediterranean, connecting people and different cultures.
The Tuscan stretch of this road is one of the most enchanting for the beauty of its villages, the towns and landscapes. Between San Gimignano and Gambassi (North) and Siena (South) it also includes Monteriggioni and comes very close to Borgo de Brandi.